World Arthritis Day 2021: Arthritis – Causes, Prevention & Treatment
Arthritis is very common rheumatologic problem nowadays. It is affecting the quality of life of around 40% people worldwide. Every year on 12th October World Arthritis Day is celebrated to create awareness about arthritis which generally comes with age.
It is the Inflammation of 1 or multiple joints which causes stiffness and pain that can worsen with age. It is very common in adults above the age of 60-65 years. There are different types of arthritis, each with different causes including wear and tear, infections and underlying diseases. Symptoms of arthritis are pain, swelling, stiffness and reduced range of motion.
Causes of Arthritis
There are many factors responsible for causing arthritis like obesity, lifestyle changes and aging population. People often ignore joint pain until it affects your daily routine. Nowadays many young people are diagnosed with arthritis because of their sedentary lifestyle, obesity, poor eating habits, bad posture and consuming supplements and steroids for body building. Obesity is also a huge factor which caused arthritis as burden on joints are 3-6 times the load bearing capacity. Arthritis grows gradually and worsens with time.
General Arthritis Prevention | World Arthritis Day
All forms of arthritis are not preventable. However, you can take these steps to reduce the risk of developing osteoarthritis in your joints.
According to the CDC, these steps include:
- Stop Smoking: Smoking cigarette increases the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis and can make the it more worse.
- Stay at Healthy Weight : Overweight people are more likely to get knee osteoarthritis. Extra weight puts more stress on joints, especially weight-bearing joints like hips and knees.
- Infection: Many viruses and bacteria can infect your joints and may cause arthritis. Visit a doctor if you feel your joints are red, warm or swollen.
- Injuries: Joint injuries and repetitive stress can damage a joint and can cause osteoarthritis in that joint. Protect your joints by doing exercises prescribed by a physiotherapist.
- Maintain Blood Sugar Level: Tissue which support the joints can be stiffen if blood sugar level are high.
- Eat Healthy Food: Eat food which contains Omega-3s like Walnut, Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Salmon fish, Mackerel fish etc. Omega-3 reduces inflammation and it also has many other health benefits.
How Physiotherapy can help against Arthritis?
Physiotherapy treatment is ideal for people suffering from arthritis, It can help you in reducing pain and regain mobility. Physical therapists are experts in assessing movement. Physiotherapists carefully examine the joints which are causing pain and discomfort and after the assessment design the effective treatment plan which suits the particular need of a patient.
Treatment generally consists of few set of therapeutic exercises along with useful tips about how to slowly improve your mobility and physical activity. The treatment method used varies from person to person. Few of the methods used during the treatment are Dry Needling Therapy, Cupping Therapy, Cold Laser Therapy, Therapeutic Ultrasound, IFT/TENS, Taping, Manual Therapy, Therapeutic Exercises and many more.
We just wanted to create awareness about arthritis on the occasion of World Arthritis Day. Hope you gained some knowledge and apply it to stay healthy and fit. If you need any physiotherapy related information then visit Healing Hands Advanced Physiotherapy Clinic.
Also Read: 5 signs why you may need physiotherapy .
Share it with others!!